If you have been around Unorthodox Training for a while or if you are a new visitor to the website you will quickly learn we do many different themes for workouts, recipes and more! That being said we have been asked multiple times now by anime fans to create a healthier ramen recipe.
We have set out to do just that, we tried making a few different chicken ramen recipes in the kitchen and this one turned out well and the macronutrient breakdown for this recipe makes it healthier and more nutritious than many ramen recipes you may find. You have a few options for ramen noodles. Many grocery stores carry dry ramen noodles in the Ethnic or Asian section of the store, or you can always use the noodles from the square packaged ramen packs (just discard the seasoning packets from those and use the noodles). Other alternatives could be thin spaghetti, soba noodles, or udon could also be great for making this ramen recipe.
This healthy chicken ramen recipe clocks in at 339 calories (339 kcals) per serving, this recipe makes 4 servings so you can package up the leftovers as meal prep, you can share with the family or friends.
- ▢ 2 eggs
- ▢ 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- ▢ 1 ½ tsp soy sauce reduced sodium
- ▢ 2 chicken breast fillets boneless and skinless (approx. 5-6 oz. each)
- ▢ 6-8 oz. ramen noodles* or thin spaghetti
- ▢ 1 cup sliced cabbage
- ▢ 1 cup shredded carrots
- ▢ 2 green onions chopped
- ▢ hot chili oil- to taste ** or sriracha
Instructions for making Healthier Chicken Ramen
- Add whole eggs (shell on) to a medium size saucepan and cover with enough water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, remove from heat . Cover saucepan and let sit for 7 minutes. Remove eggs with tongs or a slotted spoon and submerge in a bowl of ice water. Set aside. This process will yield soft set eggs which are typically used in ramen bowls, if you prefer you can hard boil eggs instead.
- Meanwhile, in a separate soup pot (or medium saucepan ) add chicken broth and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and continue cooking until thoroughly cooked ( about 8-10 min.) . Remove chicken breasts from broth, let cool to touch, and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to broth.
- Add ramen noodles to pot with broth and shredded chicken. Cook noodles according to time indicated on package (approx. 3-5 min.) Add additional chicken broth or water as necessary. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Peel and halve eggs, set aside.
- Remove soup from heat . Add cabbage and carrots. Serve immediately. Garnish with one half of the egg and chopped green onions. Drizzle chili oil or sriracha according to your taste preference or level of spiciness.
The various vegetables can be changed if you prefer something else or don’t like a specific vegetable. For example, if you don’t like green onions you could remove those, if you prefer radish instead of carrots or cabbage you could do that. The macronutrients may change a slight bit but overall that would keep the recipe still fairly nutritious considering it is a ramen dish. This could be a hearty warm meal you set aside for a cheat day as well by doubling the portion size.
Notes For this Recipe:
* For the ramen noodles – you can use 2(3.5 oz) packets of instant ramen noodles (discard the seasoning packet from inside the package) or thin spaghetti ** Hot chili oil can be found in most grocery stores in the Ethnic/Asian section. Substitute sriracha if you cant find hot chili oil. If you prefer something less spicy you could substitute sesame oil for the hot chili oil Nutritional values based on 1/4 of the recipe ( this recipe is made with 6 oz. noodles and 12 oz. skinless boneless chicken breast).