We are back with another recipe to share! If you enjoy Italian food we think you will enjoy this recipe. We often avoid Italian food because it typically isn’t macronutrient friendly because of higher carbohydrate totals or higher fat totals. After some experimenting in the kitchen we have found a deep dish pepperoni pizza lasagna recipe that is healthier than many lasagna recipes and is reasonable in terms of macronutrients for people to be able to fit into their meal plan.
- 1½ lbs ground turkey breast, cooked*
- 32 oz nonfat cottage cheese**
- 2 large eggs
- 2 – 12oz jars pizza sauce
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 package (5oz) reduced fat turkey pepperoni
- 4 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
- Pizza seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine cottage cheese, eggs, and ¼ cup pizza seasoning in a bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth
- Spread ¼ cup pizza sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 in baking dish
- Layer 3 noodles on top of the sauce.
- Evenly spread 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles.
- Spread a tiny bit of pizza sauce on top of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 of shredded cheese on top. Layer in 1/3 of your cooked ground turkey and top with 1/3 of pepperoni.
- Repeat layers two more times: 3 noodles, 1/3 cottage cheese, 1/4 mozzarella, 1/3 ground turkey, 1/3 pepperoni. Finish off with a final 1/4 of mozzarella and additional pepperoni, if desired.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve and enjoy! Remember to calculate macronutrients (macros) based on the ingredients you use as they can vary based on brand or added ingredients that may be within the product. For the recipe we made using the ingredients available to us this recipe made 4 servings, each serving contained 520 calories with 57g of protein. Being consistent and accurate with your macronutrient calculations and tracking can help you optimize your nutrition in combination with your fitness routine to achieve optimal results to help you work towards your health and fitness goals.